Gravity Forms is an advanced form solution for WordPress. It has powerful features that sets it apart from competition. If you want a simple contact form on your website then you should use free plugins like Contact Form 7 or wpforms Gravity forms comes with features that lets users create advanced forms which would have otherwise required a lot of time and custom coding.
Here are some of the awesome features of Gravity Forms
Drag and Drop builder : To create a new form all you have to do is to drag and drop the desired fields in the form designer area. There is no need for any coding to add new fields. The fields can be arranged using drag and drop itself so, it is quite easy to move the fields in the forms section.
The following type of fields are available in Gravity Forms:
Standard Fields :
Standard fields are the fields that can be used for multiple purposes like a text input can be used to input education qualifications or address etc. There are multiple standard fields that comes inbuilt in Gravity Forms. Here is the list of them.
Single Line Text:
This field is used to get single line text input from user.
- Paragraph Text area: This field is used to get multi-line input from user.
- Drop Down: This field is used to let user choose a single option from a large list of options. It saves the space by encompassing all the options in a drop down menu.
- Multi Select: This field is used to let users choose multiple options from a list of options.
- Number: This field is used if the user must only enter numeric input. If alphabets or special characters are inserted in this field then an error is generated and the form doesn’t get submitted.
- Checkbox: Check-boxes are a type of multi select. Users can tick in the boxes adjoining to the options .
- Radio Buttons: This field is used when the user must select only a single option from a group of options. Its visual appearance is similar to check-boxes.
- Hidden: It is used to create a hidden field inside the form. It is not visible to the user but it does get submitted along the form.
- HTML: This field is used to add custom html code inside the form. It doesn’t get submitted with form.
- Section: This Field is used to have a clear division of form into multiple sections.
- Page: This field helps to divide the form into multiple pages. It is quite popular technique to divide a large form into multiple pages so that the user doesn’t get overwhelmed by the long form.
Advanced fields section has fields which are frequently used in forms. It contains all the validations by default. Here is the list of all the advanced fields:
- Name: It is used to add first name, middle name and last name in the form.
- Date: This field is used to add a date picker in the form.
- Time: It is used to add time field in the form. This field has three sections to input days, hours and minutes.
- Phone: This field is used to get phone number from user.
- Address: This field is a combination of street address, address line 2, city, state/region, pin-code and country.
- Website: This field only takes a URL as input. If a URL is not entered in correct format then it will generate an error on submission of form.
- Email: This field is used to take email id as input. It has all the validations to check if the entered email id is in correct format or not.
- File Upload: This field lets users upload a file directly from the form.
- Captcha: Captcha is used to protect submission of form by bots. Gravity Forms support multiple captcha systems like recaptcha, Honeypot etc.
- List: List field lets user automatically add multiple text inputs from form. If different users have different number of entries to submit then they can increase/decrease the number of inputs from form itself.
These fields are specifically targeted for webmasters who want to have guest posts submitted directly from front end. The submitted form data will automatically get saved as draft for preview in the WordPress backend.
- Title: It is used to get post title from guest post submission form.
- Body: This field is used for input of main article.
- Excerpt: Excerpt is a brief summary of the article.
- Tags: It is used to get the tags for the guest article.
- Category: It is used to get the category of the article.
- Image: All the images that are used inside the article body has to be uploaded from this field.
- Custom Field: It is used to get content for any custom field that you have in your posts section.
Pricing fields are used to create forms which are integrated with Paypal or any other payment gateway to sell item
- Product: This field is used to show the name of the product.
- Quantity: Users can select the quantity of product from here.
- Option: It is used to give multiple options regarding the product like size, colour variations etc.
- Shipping: It will automatically add shipping costs to final product price.
- Total: This will show the final price depending upon the quantity, shipping and options selected by the user.
Gravity Forms support submission using Ajax. The forms submitted using Ajax doesn’t refresh the page when submit button is pressed. The confirmation and error messages are displayed immediately after form submission.
3rd Party Addons:
Gravity form is very developer friendly. It has hundreds of actions and filters. This has resulted in thousands of 3rd party addons that extend its functionality. Some of them are available for free while others are paid. If you need any additional feature then look for addons in the WordPress repository like Gravity Forms doesn’t have an inbuilt designer to customize its appearance so you can use free Gravity forms themes addon. Similarly there are a lot of other addons like payment gateways, additional fields which you can get depending upon your need.
Documentation and support :
Gravity Forms is very well documented and if you ever face any issue or have any query then you can check the documentation or create a support ticket.
It comes with an advanced notification system. You can create rules for email notifications. An email can be sent to different recipients depending upon what data is filled in form fields.
The Final Word
Gravity forms is the most versatile form plugin for WordPress. It offer simple interface to create complex forms with ease. It can be tailored according to your needs and with the large amount of 3rd party addons it has become the best choice among the highly competitive forms segment in WordPress.
I will highly recommend Gravity forms to anyone except those who just want a simple contact form.
Author Bio: Aman Saini works as freelancer at a webholics.in