Migrations are tough! Whether you’re migrating from one country to another or switching between two platforms. There are inhibitions, doubts, misconceptions. And a loudest voice that says, “What if I fail?”
A similar skepticism was quite prevalent amongst Ecommerce Store owners when Magento 2 platform was launched.
Although Magento 2 offered enhanced functionalities, smooth navigation and robust capabilities, the online store owners who worked on M1 platforms were reluctant to switch the platform. The ones who did, enjoyed the user experience of the platform to the fullest! It is a very well-known fact that Magento’s magic has swept across most of the ecommerce websites. Nearly 20% of ecommerce websites are built on Magento and with M2 being introduced, this percentage is sure to rise.
“But I have already migrated from M1 to M2.” you may say. Well, Congratulations for that. But does the platform fulfill all the specific needs of your business? Does it have all it takes to boost the potential of your website and multiply your sales numbers? For some, the answer can be “No.”
To build the bridge between existing features of your M2 store and the ones you need, extensions come to the rescue. As the name extension suggests, they help to “extend” the functionality of your ecommerce store. With so many Magento extensions flooding the market, the challenge is to find the one that deems fit to your requirements.
Through this article, we bring to you some pointers and guidelines that you must follow while choosing Magento 2 extensions. Let’s dive in:
Define the Purpose
Of course, nobody would like to invest one’s hard earned money into a software or product without a purpose. But sometimes, the need is superficial and lacks the exact specifications. So ask yourself a question as to why do you need that particular Magento 2 extension.
As an answer, you will get to know of a certain features or functionality that is missing in your current Magento store. It can be anything… a Delivery Date Scheduling extension or a robust Solr Search option.
Once you get to know about them, you can jolt down these functionalities and start looking for the extensions that can fulfill those needs.
Thereafter, you can make comparisons between similar extensions and know about pros, cons and limitations of each one of them. Also, you must make sure that the extension you buy doesn’t restrict the performance or speed capabilities of your ecommerce store.
Remember…delayed navigations can lead to cart abandonments and you certainly do not want that!
Choose the Right Provider
“Yes, we make extensions. Yes, they’re completely compatible with your platform.” A lot of companies make these statements. So whom do you trust? Well, there are several things you can do. Take a look at some of them given below:
- Read Reviews: Reviews are reflective of what clients think about the product and how it was helpful to them. Don’t just confine yourself to the company’s website. Conduct ample amount of R&D and read transperant take of people on the product and how it proved to be useful for them. Linkedin, Facebook and Twitter are some of the social media platforms that can also be relied upon for going through reviews.
- Ask for Portfolio: Don’t just jump into buying the extension if you like it after reading the reviews. You need to know about the use cases of the extension and how it helped the clients of a particular company in different ways. So write to the company and ask them to provide you with a portfolio of their clients. You can also seek permission and speak to some of its client base.
- Version Updates: Old, outdated and mundane functionalities can make the growth of your ecommerce store stagnant. So make sure that the extension you choose to buy is upgraded from time to time. Some extensions once released, are never cared for or looked after for a long time. Avoid getting into a deal with one of these companies. Also, make sure that you buy an extension compatible with M2.
- Presence in the Magento Marketplace
You are most likely to find good quality Magento Extensions on the official Magento Marketplace. This is because they undergo a stringent procedure before they are approved and placed on the official website. Whenever you zero upon an extension, you should check whether the product is present in the Magento Marketplace. Once you find it, check the star ratings given to it and go through the description and reviews given below the product. It will acquaint you with the value and importance of the extension in the Magento Marketplace.
- Money Back Guarantee
It hasn’t been very long since Magento 2 platform was released. Quite obviously, the Magento 2.0 extensions compatible to this platform aren’t very new either. Make sure that there are money back or guarantee policies associated with the product you buy. Also it should give you ample amount of time to be able to decide if you want to keep using the extension or get your money back.
Remember…If the company you’re buying from is confident about one’s product, they’ll never deny to provide you with a money back guarantee.
- Check with Your Developer
It is quite obvious that if your website has been developed in Magento, you must’ve hired a Magento Developer for the same. So a wise step to take would be to ask him to go through the coding of the extension. Ask him if the product looks like something you can buy and if it would be compatible with your website. If he says, “Yes”, go for it! Don’t fall into traps for very cheap extensions, as you might get disappointed with the quality at a later stage.
Follow the above mentioned guidelines and you will definitely end up buying the right extension for your Magento 2 Store. So what are you waiting for? Buy the right extension, integrate it with your store and flourish with your business!
Author Bio: Mr. Maulik Shah is the founder & CEO of AppJetty, a digital software products store specializing in extensions, plugins and apps for host of software platforms like Magento, WordPress, SugarCRM, SuiteCRM, Odoo, Dynamics CRM, etc. Follow him on Twitter.